Stop and look...down?

Sometimes in life, you really just need to stop and take a look ... down. I can't tell you how many times I've walked through the rocks in my front yard not thinking twice about what I stepped on.

In the past few days, I've noticed a Killdeer bird spending a lot of time around the rocks in my front yard. There are plenty of them around the neighborhood so I didn't think too much of it. Occasionally it would walk away and appear to have an injured wing. I felt sorry for it. Today though- all that changed. The neighbor kid was over mowing and he found a nest hidden in the rocks.

So that's what mama bird was up to! On the website about the Killdeer birds, it states that the birds lay their eggs in rocks and that the eggs take about 28 days to hatch. You can be sure that I'm going to be watching these little eggs with the hopes of getting pictures of the babies when they hatch! I just hope the local rattlesnakes don't find the eggs first.

0 Responses