Oh the Antique Store- "smell"

I've really been getting into this whole vintage scrapbooking thing lately. I've been enjoying the hunt for treasures at the antique stores and goodwill and stores of the like. All the antique stores have this little flier that lists all the other stores in town. This does seem odd to me that they're advertising the other stores, but whatever. It's their business, not mine. So anyway- There's one that I've seen a sign for a few times now, Pat Sime Antiques. It's not on the "list" but somehow I found it anyway.

Today is my day off. Ace and I were headed out for coffee at my favorite little Dutch Bros when I drove by the Pat Sime sign. I thought, what the heck, Ace can go in there with me. I'll be quick. What's 5 minutes, right. We walked in, and first off, it's an ice box in there. No, not exagerating, it's really really cold. I even had my coat on, and was cold. Poor Ace, he hadn't wanted his coat (remember, he's 3- and has a mind of his own). "MOM, it's cold in here" he says. I wasn't going to point it out, but I agreed with him and told him I'd be quick.

The antique store had a smell all it's own, as most do. It smells musty and old and almost like a vintage shoppers version of death, or maybe just what I remember of my grandmothers basement. This is the same smell that made me refuse to go to the Goodwill & Value Village type stores for many many years. Just plain gross.

"MOM, IT'S STINKY IN HERE", came this small voice from across the room. I smirk to myself, knowing full well how bad it smelled. It was just Ace and I and the shop owners daughter. I politely replied, "I know honey, just breathe through your mouth, I'll be quick" and continued shopping. The whining started, "but mom, it's STINKY!", as he starts to gag. (He has a super sensitive gag reflex). "I know honey, I'm almost done" He's now holding his plastic coffee cup (hot chocolate) in one hand, plugging his nose with the other and has tears running down his face as he loudly proclaimed- "MOM- SOMEONE POOPED IN HERE!" I was a bit embarrased, but went over and scooped him up and let him whine on my shoulder. We left shortly after, but you've just gotta love the embarrasing things kids say!
0 Responses